Saturday, June 16, 2012

Kamado Twice Smoked Ham

I smoked a 9# spiral cut pre-cooked ham last Saturday. 

I cooked it indirectly over liquid ---water and porter (not sure that the porter made a difference) with water soaked hickory chunks.

 It took about 2 hr 45 minutes to get to 133 degrees F internal temperature with an average oven temperature of approximately 250 degrees F. At about 1.5 hours into the cook I checked the accuracy of a new remote oven thermometer that I got.

 Looking at the ham, I was afraid that it was drying out. So I put foil on the grate under it and a foil tent over it.

 I didn't use a glaze as I don't really like making the meat sweet and sugary. My wife pointed out that I oriented it wrongly.. However, for all that, it came out great.

 After taking it out of the kamado, I wrapped it in foil to sit for an hour. Except for the big piece on the end which was a little dry and black, it was very moist and very smokey.
The thermometer on the kamado is now 50 to 75 degrees low compared to the new remote thermometer which I tested against an over thermometer of known accuracy. I checked the accuracy of the kamado thermometer when I put it together. I have to figure out how to adjust it.
For a finishing touch, I took down the diffuser grate and the liquid and took out the hickory chunks. Then I cooked biscuits.

Delicious. Pillsbury Buttermilk Grands fresh from the refrigerator tube! They were great!

No comments:

Post a Comment