Monday, June 24, 2013

Beer can chicken on the Kamado Kooker

Recently, I've made this twice. I bought a steel holder for the beer can for < $4 at a local BigLots.

 Previously, I had done this on my Weber without the holder. The holder makes it much more stable. The Kamado makes it about the most moist chicken ever. First, I used Miller Genuine Draft. I really couldn't taste the beer. 

The second time, I filled the can with some oatmeal stout. I still couldn't taste the brew.
I didn't use any wood, just lump charcoal. We rubbed the outside with Montreal Chicken Rub.
It took less than 1 hour 30 minutes for the 1st bird which was about 3 1/2 #s and 1 hour 45 minutes for the 2nd bird which was just over 5#s. I cooked them to 170 degrees F internal temperature and tried to keep the Kamado temperature at 350 F. Both were cooked indirectly over a metal heat diffuser.


My wife found a great book at the library: Beer Can Chicken by
Steve Raichlen. It is full of great sounding can recipes as well as non-can recipes.


No comments:

Post a Comment