Sunday, July 8, 2012

Cornell Chicken on the Steel Kamado

In upstate NY almost every volunteer fire department raises money with chicken bar-b-ques.
The typical style is with the so-called Cornell marinade. 
http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/cornell_chicken.html
This is well detailed in this website.


I cooked this recently on the kooker with bottled State Fair Speedie Sauce that is widely available here in NNY.
I cooked Chicken breasts with skin on that were marinated in the sauce for 24 hours.
Initially, I cooked them indirectly @ about 300F for approximately 50 minutes to an internal temp of 150F.

Then  I cooked them directly opening the drafts and letting the oven temp go up to 350F for about 20 minutes (turning twice) to crisp the skin and to a final internal temp of 165F.
Here is one served with salt potatoes (another unique upstate NY favorite) and a salad.
As usual with this kamado--crisp and juicy. Next time I might let the final oven temp go even higher--maybe 400 F to make it more crispy. Cooked by the firemen, these are often blackened with char. I was trying to avoid that.

No comments:

Post a Comment